Tuesday, October 2, 2007

New Job(s)

This past Friday was my last day at Teradyne. I'm officially unemployed for about 3 weeks until October 22, when I start at my new job at Logic Product Development. Why three weeks? TEC, of course! I really wanted to work this particular TEC for a number of reasons, and since I was fortunate enough to sneak onto the team through the back door, I wasn't going to give it up. I wanted a little time off between jobs since I haven't really had much time off while saving up vacation for the wedding. So, I could either start at Logic, work a couple of days, and then have to burn my only vacation for the rest of the year for TEC, or start after TEC and enjoy a few weeks off. Granted, it's without pay, but I think it will be worth it. The downside is that my first day is now the first day after a TEC weekend, so I'm going to have to grab every last possible minute of sleep I can find during the weekend. Hopefully I can count on a particular Rector to help me out with some of his own bedtime stories, so I can fall asleep faster. ;-)

One interesting twist to this is that in the process of looking for a new job, I got to interview with Bob. No, not just Bob's company, but Bob herself. At my previously mentioned introduction to High Society, at the hands of Bob herself, she mentioned that her group was looking to hire. This was part of our computer geek conversion mentioned in that post. That was probably the weirdest, yet most fun interview I've ever done. I was both relaxed, since it was Bob, and yet not too relaxed, since she had a cohort with her for the interview. However, in the end, Bob's influence and bribes were not enough to overcome the lack of some specific skills and experience that they really wanted for that position. I am no longer speaking to Bob. Well, except for this past Sunday, next Sunday, the Sunday after that.... ;-)

I would like to point out that this was the first time I've ever applied for a position and not been offered the job. And it was all Bob's fault! Never again will I listen to her lies and deceit! Or something like that. ;-)  Actually, the recruiter from her company said the feedback from the interview process was really positive and they thought I would be a great fit for the company, but just not for that position. Which is just dandy. But in the end, I decided that without the special draws of that position in particular, the commute to Eden Prairie from Andover was going to be a bit much (probably about an hour each way, a little longer in the evening), and the Logic position was still a possibility. So, in the end, I chose not to work in the same building as Bob, as crazy as that sounds. I'm not sure that company was ready for the two of us in the same city at the same time anyway.

So, why the potential plural in the post title? I just found out yesterday that big brother is also getting a new job. Neither of us knew that the other was in the process of looking, so we surprised each other with new jobs at almost the exact same time. His last day was yesterday. Little sis got a new job a couple of months ago as well. I guess I should expect some news from my parents in the next few days...

DotD: Superman keyboard and mouse - Free! - Newegg again has the Superman keyboards and mice in various colors for free after rebate. I picked up the red and blue keyboard and mouse awhile back when they were also free and really like them. They're not the highest quality, of course, but I think they just look pretty cool and they've worked fine for me. The keyboard is available in blue, black, or silver, and the mouse is available in red/blue, blue/black, and silver/black.



12 comments:

DVK said...

Wow, first Joel, now you. New jobs all around!

Gratz and good luck!

DVK said...

I almost forgot: what will you be doing?

Mac Man said...

Logic does consulting projects for other companies, but brings the projects in-house. I will still be working as a software engineer, but for external clients and with a much broader range of projects and technologies.

Joel said...

Yay for new jobs!

Guess Dan is next. Didn't even know you were looking, did you? Well, too bad! You're Hired!

Ben said...

I started a new job the Monday after this summer's TEC (which, I'm sure you heard from your wife the fun that was had...and the sleep).

Just buy skin-colored tooth picks and prop the eyes open...works every time!

DVK said...

You're slacking on your blog again, Tim.....

Now that you're unemployed for a bit what's your excuse???

Joel said...

His excuse is round, gold, bright, and hovers nicely above angel heads.

Version three, of course.

DVK said...

A UFO?

Joel said...

Possibly. :) But something much smaller. Somewhat ring-like and heavenly.

DVK said...

Halo 3? Tim has an XBox 360?! Sweet!

;-)

Mac Man said...

I'm just borrowing the 360 for the week. It belongs to Biesterfeld. It goes back Sunday... :-(

DVK said...

Maybe if you never give it back he won't notice?

Still need a blog update btw.....